About the Ministry of Livestock and Fishery Development The Ministry of Livestock (MoL) was established in 1993, it consists of eight Departments, including Department of Animal Production, Animal Health, Marketing, Planning, Human Resource and Admin and Finance and Fishery , Coastal Development and ICT Deparment. It continues to address technical, financial and human resources gaps at central, regional and district levels. Of importance, the Ministry has prioritized the development of policies that will enable it to fulfill its mandate.
The Ministry of Livestock & Fishery Development of the Republic of Somaliland) (Somali: Wasaaradda Xannaanda Xoolaha iyoHorumarinta Kalluumaysiga Somaliland) (Arabic: وزارة الثروة الحيوانية والسمكية) is a Somaliland government ministry which is responsible for the country's livestock and fishery sectors.
Ministry of Livestock & Fisheries has vital strategic role of leading, facilitating and coordinating national vision and development.
To take a leading role in the achievement of a rapid sustainable development, in order to improve the quality of life of the people of Somaliland.
’To ensure that livestock and fisheries resources are collaboratively developed and managed sustainably without damaging the environment’ to enhance food security, increase income, reduce poverty, improve livelihoods and contribute to the national economy. --
- Integrity: maintaining the highest moral and ethical standards
- Quality: commitment to high quality work that meets international institutional standards
- Efficiency: using the Ministry’s limited human and capital resources efficiently and effectively
- Accountability: Being transparent and taking responsibility for our actions and inaction
- Collaboration: Commitment to teamwork within the ministry and collaboration with our partners
- Staff development: Training and supporting staff to raise performance and achieve potential
- Results oriented: Setting and achieving clear measurable goalsCore Values
Core functions: ·
- Formulating policies, strategies and programmes for supporting fisheries development
- Coordinating research on livestock and fisheries development and disseminating research results to stakeholders and farmers
- Providing continuous capacity development and improvement on livestock and fisheries development
- Controlling animal production and genetics
- Controlling and preventing livestock diseases including vaccination and vector control
- Undertaking surveillance, quality control and supervision of fish stock and fish food
- Coordinating the establishment and management of cooperatives
- Facilitating and coordinating animal health and fisheries education and training
- Quality control of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and other biological products
- Facilitating national, regional and international trade on livestock and fisheries
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of livestock and fisheries programmes